Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ice Cream Dreams

After not tackling the Yummy Village Sushi Challenge and not being able to go for the Hulk burger challenge a few weeks ago, I walked away disappointed that I have yet to complete a restaurant challenge.
A few months back during the end of the summer, #1 ranked "Furious" Pete Czerwinski went to Ricky's Candy, Cones and Chaos in Long Island to tackle the Belly Buster challenge. This was to have been consisted of 15 scoops of Ice Cream. Pete not only beat the challenge but in record time. He finished in 2 minutes and 57 seconds.
When my friend Jill successfully took the sushi challenge, she was determined to find more places to get free food. Upon visiting Ricky's website, we found out that they had a few locations on the east coast, one being in Staten Island. Finally, a challenge I could take on.
We took a drive over near the Staten Island Mall to Ricky's with my mom and aunt and met up with Joel "The Cannon" Podelsky and his girlfriend Dana and enjoyed some Ice Cream. Well at least some people took the time to enjoy it.
I hung out with Jill and my family waiting for The Cannon to arrive. At this location, like many others with restaurant challenges, if you complete the challenge, you get your picture on the wall. Additionally, you have to pay for the Ice Cream first and then if you succeed, you get a $12 gift card. I placed my order. What I was a bit confused by was the difference in serving. When watching Pete's video, they gave him 15 scoops in a smaller bowl. The SI location gave a platter that was more like the top of a large plastic container that you get for take out food. It wasn't as deep as the bowl I saw that Czerwinski had been served with, it was shallower but was much wider giving more surface area. They weighed the ice cream until it was 30 ounces. I confirmed with the manager at Ricky's that this was indeed the same challenged offered in Long Island. I also called the LI location and confirmed it was the same thing with them. So my 30 ounces of Ice Cream only turned out to 9 scoops, but they were pretty massive. Once the Ice Cream was served the timer was set by the girl behind the counter, I turned my music on and I was off.
I have to tell you that this was one of the hardest eating feats I've had to accomplish. The one thing I learned from Pete's video was the spoon was not a good option, I went right at it with my hands. Everyone told me I looked like I was eating a hamburger, lol. I picked up each scooped and pecked a way at it full force. As time went on, the back of my throat was not cold, but burning, like a frostbite sort of a feeling. Half way into it, I almost considered backing off, but I was determined to get this done. I was advised water would have helped but I'm not sure that is the case.
When picking flavors I had opted for three scoops of chocolate, three of Birthday Cake Batter and 3 scoops of Rum Rasin thinking that I'd be picking more until they told me I was at the weight I was supposed to be. The last scoop I picked up was MASSIVE and was Rum Rasin, I was not all that excited about Rum Rasin in the first place so the big hunk I was left with felt like a chore with my already burning throat and fingertips that were to the point that they felt glued on and were moving like individual parts of the body when I touched something.
When the time was counted, I finished the challenge in 1 minute and 53 seconds, a new record.
Jill waited for me to finish and placed her order and did a respectable 9 minutes. We both got our picture taken. We were given 8x11 photos that were plastered over everyone elses postcard type pictures where we posted the date, time and our "Hancocks". The Champ was indeed there.
When I went to settle up and pay the tab and accept my gift card the girl behind the counter told me that the manager and staff had a disscusion and decided that I finished it so fast they weren't even going to bother charging me. Everyone working there was nice as heck and I look forward to a regular serving in the future.
San Diego here I come.




1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Will! I showed everyone at work the videos and EVERYONE was amazed! You really are The Champ!

    ReplyDelete